Did you know the library has projectors for checkout and even children’s preloaded tablets? What about books that read aloud to them?
It’s getting cold outside, and sometimes we need some fresh activities for our kiddos to do while they are home for two weeks or to keep them entertained on car rides. Don’t forget about those surprise snow days! I compiled a list of some of the coolest resources the St. Louis Libraries (both county and city) have to offer for you!
*As a reminder, if you are a city or county cardholder, you can use your card at both locations.*
Here are some of the amazing resources we have access to. Be sure to tag us with a new find @stlouis_mom and @abbykristine16 – Enjoy!
- Playaway Audio Books– These audio book players are perfect for road trips. They have a variety of titles for kiddos from age 4 to 15! It is easiest to find this resource in the library- ask your librarian to show you where they are and how to search for them in the catalog. Click here to reserve a player at SLPL.
- Sci-Finder Kits– These kits focus on science and technology and come with activities for parents and kids to engage with together! Check out the options here from SLCL.
- Fort Building Kits– this kit was a HIT at my house! They had so much fun building. Find the information here from SLCL.
- Books on CD– you can check out these packs with both the book and the audiobook CD!
- Playaway Launchpads– these are preloaded tablets that DO NOT connect to the internet with themed games for your kids. Perfect for a road trip! Check them out here for SLCL and here for SLPL.
- Parent Packs– these kits have themed books and activities specific to topics your child may need support in- the kit pictured is about working moms. SLPS has these available on their shelves in the kids’ section. Check out the available kits through SLCL here
- Telescopes– You can check out a telescope that comes with instructions on how to set up, along with hints on finding items in the night sky. Reserve yours through SLCL here.
- Fishing Kits– provided by the Missouri Department of Conservation, these are available for checkout with everything you need to take your kiddo on the perfect afternoon (maybe save this one for the spring!). Reserve your kit through SLCL here
- Projectors– perfect for a winter movie night!! You can reserve yours here.
- ABC Mouse– did you know your library card gets you access to ABC Mouse? It’s a great app for younger kiddos! More info here.
- Vox and WonderBooks– these books actually read aloud to your child. There is usually a section in the library with Read Along books. These are a favorite in our house! You can search the SLCL catalog here and the SLPL catalog here.
- FLIP Kits– these are kits designed to help with Early Literacy skills. Check them out here.
Here are master links to all of the available options to check out from both libraries. The library also has a variety of resources for families in need- be sure to check out their programs!
St. Louis County Library Resources
St. Louis Public Library Resources
Don’t forget all of the great in-person local library resources! Check out the options below for in-person activities you may not know about. Here are a few of our favorites!
- SLCL Sensory Bags– St. Louis County Library provides bags for patrons with Sensory needs, just ask at the desk when you arrive- below is a picture of the contents of a bag!
- Storytime– St. Louis Mom has put together the best story times you can check them out here!
- Events– here are the master links to the SLPL events and the SLCL events lists!
We hope you enjoy all these amazing resources! Be sure to tag us with your finds @stlouis_mom and @abbykristine16.